background

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kupa'a's FIRST birthday (BEWARE...VERY long!)

As much as I hate to admit that our littlest man is growing up, I've come to the realization that there really is nothing I can do to stop it. All I really can do is embrace it. And so...we did. ;) On June 17th, our "baby" turned ONE, and the following day we had a sizeable birthday bash to celebrate. Since I had so much fun with his party, which you'll see was owl themed, I had to document it from start to finish.

Starting with his invitations...
we sent out sweet little owl invitations, complete with pictures of our little pueo, that began...Guess whoo's turning ONE!It turned out to be a pretty inconvenient day for a lot of people, but we were still ready to party none the less. Luckily, we were able to have Sean Na'au'ao and his band as live entertainment once again.
To go with the owl theme, we had owl clip favors perched on little trees...
and owl stuffies for our centerpieces.We also had chocolate drizzled pretzel favors...YUM!
There was great Hawaiian food (Thanks to Lavern's), and 'opihi and poke (Thanks to Aho's Uncle and Aunty).
And...can't forget the pupus and desserts too (this was probably my favorite picture).We had lots of activities for the kids:Two balloon artists, who made our birthday boy his own owl, and a fish on a pole, among other things. We had a combo bouncer, which our oldest made GOOD use of. You can just see the absolute joy on his face in this shot!
There were also two games, Nest The Owl:where kids tried to land these little owl into their own little nest;
And Owl Toss:where they tried to get these little owls back into their tree;After playing, there were lots of prizes to choose from including, but not limited to: candy, punch balloons, slap hands, bouncy balls, and my favorite...homemade playdough!And there was also a Paper Bag Owl craft where the kids could color and create their very own owl. And most importantly, we had fabulous friends and family to help us celebrate. A few, like Aho's beat partner Sam, rarely make an appearance (hence to photographic evidence). While others, like my Kapi'o's, are always there to help us mark our milestones. ;)And what would a birthday party be without a cake and a "Happy Birthday!"
Kupa'a was serenaded by his big brother, who couldn't wait to sing him "Happy Birthday."And both our boys were drooling over the very large chocolate cake. In this shot, you can totally see Kupa'a eyeing out his owl topper. After the cake, we also had a Kupa'a Trivia game, and a slide show of his first year.

Other than yummy cake, Kupa'a made out with quite a load of cards and gifts. Luckily, his brother was more than happy to help him open them.Which led to the final leg of his birthday celebration, the many thank you cards to all those who shared in his special day. "Thank Whoo? Thank YOU!"
While it may be hard to acknowledge that our baby isn't really a baby anymore, it was so much fun making such a big deal over his birthday. His is our precious little pueo in so many ways and we can't wait to see how he'll spread his wings. Happy Birthday Pa'a boy! We love Who? We love you!!!

4 comments:

My Thriving Journey... said...

Oh my goodness Gabby, you are amazing!! I loved every part of it! Thanks for sharing your link with me, I feel like I was there!! :) LOVED IT!!

Cam and Lohi said...

Love it Gabs! You are soooo creative! I wish I was as creative as you. Can you be my designer/decorater for the next party?

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Michelle Silva and I am planning my nephew's 1st birthday. As I was looking through the internet I found your owl invitation and thought it was really cute and would like to use it as our invitation. I have been to Ben Franklin, Fisher Hawaii in search of how you were able cut the invitation like that shape. Would you mind sharing with me how you did that?

Thank you in advance, Michelle

Unknown said...

@pualii...
I wish I had found something to help me cut it out. But honestly, I just used scratch paper to draw one up until I got the shape I liked and then I used that one as my template.

If I remember correctly, I used a 12x12 sheet and cut it in thirds. Then I folded each piece into thirds again till the ends overlapped a little above the middle (I'm sorry if that's confusing). Then I drew out the shape on the front and adjusted until it was just right.

The eyes were different stampin up circle and scalloped punches, and the feet were a stampin up flower punch with 2 petals removed. The nose I just had to cut triangles with the paper cutter. I put a tiny glue dot under the nose to hold it closed. Sorry, I hope that helps. And I wish it were easier. Good luck!! -Gabby