background

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Not quite measuring up

Two days after Ola's 1st birthday, we went to our pediatrician for his 12 month well baby check-up. They took all his measurements, including head circumference, height, and weight. They checked his eyes, ears, nose, lungs, and hips, and also gave him his three shots. We always take all his measurements and shots in the exam room, then head to the doctor's office to wait for the verdicts. So, following the exam, we headed there to wait.
The doc came in and began by pointing out where Ola was on the graph of average children his age, and simply said, "his growth is really great. He's right where he should be." I, however, took one look at the two dots WAY on the bottom of the growth curves, and thought otherwise. Knowing me very well, and knowing I'd freak out, our pediatrician had tried to avoid telling me that Ola was in the 10th percentile for both height and weight. I guess he didn't think I'd notice his marks were on the bottom of the chart. But, he did reassure me that despite the numbers, Ola's growth is actually looking really good, and that a lot of boys are behind for a while and then hit their growth spurts later. I simply told him "I hope you're right!"
At 12 months, our boy is 20 lbs., 7 oz., and 28 1/2 in. He may only be in the 10th percentile, but great things come in small packages (we just hope he gets some height and weight at some point).

1 comment:

Sherene said...

Don't worry, his cuteness adds more putting above the 10th percentile. ;)