background

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Books galore!

Since Ola was only a few months old, we've made a habit of reading to him. We've always had story time before going to bed, and for a while now, before his mid-day nap as well. He LOVES story time. If we let him, he'd have us read every book he owns, or, sometimes, just the same story over and over. Because he loves books so much, we try to get new ones every so often and he's been lucky enough to get books from friends and family on different occasions. With all of these fabulous books piling up in his book bin, it's become quite a chore to find and pull out different books every day. So, we decided that he needed his own bookshelf. Something small and simple, just so that he could see all of his books and easily grab the ones he wanted.
I found plans for a beautiful little bookshelf on my favorite building blog, but the extra wood we would need ended up being a little pricey. So, we decided to come up with our own plans using the wood we had left over from the play table. It took me a while to come up with the dimensions (after two kids, my brain cells have diminished greatly), but once I did my dad helped me cut all the pieces and put it together. We ended up with a very simple, two-shelf bookshelf. Although it wasn't as stylish as the one I had my eye on, it definitely serves it's purpose. But after putting all the books up, I realized something...pretty soon we're gonna need another one, cause this one is almost full!

1 comment:

Cam and Lohi said...

Good job Gabs! I wish I could be handy like that. Watching HGTV makes me wanna do all kinds of stuff but sorry, no can do. You can give me a crash course some time :)