background

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cute is in the eye of the beholder...or the number of friends you have

So this weekend, we went down to the Baby Expo for the cute baby contest. Of coarse, I didn't expect to win, but I wasn't quite prepared for such a defeating loss. Apparently, when they said, "It's based on audience applause, so bring everyone you know," I was the only one who didn't take it seriously. In fact, I didn't take anyone with us, not even Daddy (who was sleeping at home between shifts). Everyone else, on the other hand, brought everyone they knew and their grandmothers. As each parent went up with their kid, you would hear a section of the audience, apparently the invited friends and family, scream their head off. But when it was Ola's turn...nothing. And then...a little sympathy clap. Apparently, no one else thought he was cute. Which was kinda sad, considering I thought they were all cute, so I cheered for everyone. I was glad, however, to stand next to a very nice girl and her 8 month old son. They're military, so they didn't have much fans either, just her husband and two friends (which is still 3 more than we had). She laughed and said, "I'm actually sorry that I subjected my son to this." I guess it's good that they're so young, otherwise, I might worry he'd get a complex. Oh well. As Aho said when we got home, we don't need a contest to tell us our baby is cute. And even if he's only cute to us, I can live with that.

4 comments:

Sherene said...

Too bad you didn't know, you could of rallied up the Ing/Tuitele clan. He would've won! We still think he's really cute. ;)

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

He IS cute... those are a waste of time. Lesson learned, I guess. :)
I would have cheered for him.

Cam and Lohi said...

I was cheering....from Maui. You couldn't hear me?

Chris and Channy said...

ditto to what jenny wrote. ola IS cute and i woulda given him a big "cheehoo."