background

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Monday

I love to be busy! And before I had Waiola, I could fill a whole day just running errands. I loved making a list of all the things I needed to get done and checking them off one by one until I had nothing left. It's just one of my quirks. But...now that I have Ola in tow everywhere, and I try to run errands in between feedings (which can be every hour some days), I feel like every day is SUPER busy, even though I only accomplish a few tasks. I admire mothers who have more than one child and manage to do anything at all...they are my new heroes.
Monday seemed like another crazy busy day. I woke up at about 6:30, fed Ola, and got to work cleaning. I've been pulling things out of boxes and storage and dumping it into our living room to sort, which ended up making my living room a mess. So I cleaned, and reorganized, and cleaned again, which was great. When Aho got up (I think it was about 12), I told him I needed to run to town, and he was lovely enough to go with me. Since we were out that way, we decided to check out the new Whole Foods store. If you know me, you know I love food! And organic food is usually good tasting and good for you. Walking around the store though, I remembered why I don't buy much organic things...they're so expensive. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but Aho saw some stuffed chicken at the butcher counter and decided we would try it out. Pictured below are the two pieces he purchased as they were cooking for our lunch. They each consisted of two organic chicken breasts, wrapped around stuffing (one was herb, one was apple cinnamon), and tied up.
If they look good, savor the view. These TWO pieces came out to a total of $45. As we walked out of Whole Foods with the most expensive chicken we have ever bought, we thought it would be the best chicken we ever had. No such luck. Aho laughed and said...no wonder we have an obesity problem in America. You spend $45 on healthy, organic chicken, and it tastes junk. But you spend $1 on a hamburger at McDonalds, and you're not disappointed. Oh well...at least we gave it a try.
My mom arrived while our chicken was cooking (and had a good laugh at our story). We're very lucky because her job allows her to be here fairly often, which she is 10 times more thankful for now that we have Ola. He was very happy to see his Tutu, as is obvious. I think I'm the only one who might adore him more than she does.
After our $45 "snack", we were trying to decide where to eat for dinner (I wasn't kidding when I said I like food), and Aho went upstairs to play his newest computer game, Spore. I left Ola with him for a 2 minutes and came back to this...
I guess he's more like his Daddy than I thought.
We ended up eating at Makino Chaya (where I ate way too much) and getting home around 8:30. Since Tutu was here, she gave Ola a bath and he was off to bed about an hour later. I don't know where the day went, but it sure seemed full. No thanks to the chicken!


3 comments:

Laurabee said...

Next time, we'll come eat at McDonalds with you guys...we can afford the dollar menu!!!

Chris and Channy said...

lol! gabby, i loved this post. you guys are too funny with your $45 snack. in the mainland, that snack would be a meal for all the haoles. i've come to learn that they just don't eat like we do!

so everytime i watch john and kate plus 8 i feel guilty because they only feed their kids organic food and organic candy. but whenever i see the prices for organic food, all that guilt goes right out the window! lol. hey, i never ate organic food growing up, and i seem to have turned out ok. :)

anyway, i totally feel you on the running errands thing. once kids come into the picture, you just don't seem to get as many "to-dos" done, although your days seem so super duper busy. i'm just like you...i love making to-do lists and checking things off as i complete them. it makes me feel accomplished. :)

okay, that's enough writing for now. thank you for making me laugh today. this was a great entry. hope to see you guys again soon!

Cam and Lohi said...

too funny! we both were cracking up. i guess i can safely say "no more stuffed organic chicken for you!" i can totally see how its so easy to get obese. haven't you noticed that all the "reduced fat" or "no fat" items aren't as ono as the regular ones? like chips or oreo cookies? i guess I can also say that "fat tastes good!" i love food myself and i guess thats why i still look the way i do :). i can't blame it on na'u anymore...she's almost 1. lol.